Data from Transplantation - Curated by EPG Health - Date available 01 March 2019


Pay for access, or by subscription

Article type

Clinical trial

Original date published

1 March 2019

Original format

Epub ahead of print

Background: NSAID use is recommended to be avoided in kidney transplantation (KTX), with a paucity of studies assessing their safety within this population. This study aims to use a large cohort of Veterans Affairs (VA) KTX recipients to assess the risk of acute kidney injury (AKI) with NSAID use.

Methods: This is a ten-year longitudinal cohort study of adult kidney transplant recipients retrospectively followed in the VA system from 2001-10 that assessed for risk of AKI with NSAID prescriptions. NSAID prescriptions, patient characteristics and eGFRs were abstracted from the VA comprehensive electronic health record. NSAID exposure was assessed by duration, dosage and type. AKI events were defined by ≥50% decrease in eGFR. Risk was estimated using longitudinal multivariable generalized logistic regression model.

Results: 5,100 patients were included with a total of 29,980 years of follow up; 671 NSAID prescriptions in 273 (5.4%) patients (2.24 per 100 patient-years) with 472 (70%) high-dose were identified. High-dose NSAID prescriptions was associated with 2.83 (95% CI 1.55-5.19; p<0.001) higher odds of AKI events within a given year; low dose was not associated with AKI (OR 1.93 [0.95-6.02]; p=0.256). One 7-day NSAID course was associated with 5% higher odds of increasing AKI events, while chronic use (≥180 days) was associated with 3.25 (1.78-5.97; p<0.001) higher odds of AKI.

Conclusions: Prescriptions for NSAIDs were uncommon in this cohort, but was associated with a significant increase in the risk of AKI, which was impacted by higher NSAID dose and longer NSAID durations.

Data sources

Read abstract on library site Access full article


You will need to login, to leave a comment. is not monitored for collection of adverse event reports. Any adverse events should be reported to your national reporting agency and/or the manufacturer.

Learning Zones

An Learning Zone (LZ) is an area of the site dedicated to providing detailed self-directed medical education about a disease, condition or procedure.



See information on best practice in solid organ transplantation, and expert discussions on related hot topics.

Fibrinogen Deficiency in Bleeding

Fibrinogen Deficiency in Bleeding

Fibrinogen is important for blood clot formation and breakdown. It is the first coagulant factor to be reduced to critical levels during massive trauma, cardiac surgery and postpartum haemorrhage that involve excessive bleeding. Persistent fibrinogen deficiency can lead to bleeding complications and an increased risk in mortality. This learning zone looks at both congenital and acquired fibrinogen deficiencies including indications and techniques for diagnosis, trigger level for treatment and treatment options.

Hereditary ATTR amyloidosis

Hereditary ATTR amyloidosis

Explore the pathophysiology, epidemiology and multi-system symptoms associated with hereditary ATTR amyloidosis, as well as how to achieve an early and accurate diagnosis.

Load more

Related Content