Please note- The EPG Renal Anaemia Knowledge Centre is for Doctors and other Healthcare Professionals.
Enter the Renal Anaemia Knowledge Centre
MIRACEL is the first real-life study to investigate switching the treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) patients on dialysis from commonly used shorter-acting erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (ESAs) directly to the once monthly administration of the drug Mircera®, using pre-filled syringes.
Initial results confirm that Mircera® maintains haemoglobin (Hb) levels in CKD patients within a narrow range. Read more about the MIRACEL study results
Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is characterised by a gradual and permanent loss of kidney function that worsens as it progresses from stages 1 to 5. One of the most common complications of CKD is anaemia. Anaemia in patients with CKD causes debilitating weakness and fatigue, altered cognitive function, and a negative impact on quality of life and wellbeing.1
Anaemia is defined as a reduction of the number of circulating red blood cells to below a certain threshold level. It is also described as a low haemoglobin concentration or a low volume of packed red cells2.
Renal anaemia is secondary to chronic kidney disease (CKD) and it appears early in the course of CKD, worsening as it progresses.
Because renal anaemia impairs the delivery and utilization of oxygen to tissues and organs throughout the body, it has a wide range of effects on both quality of life and overall health and well being.2
CKD-related anaemia is a major public health concern. It is associated with an increased risk of morbidity, mortality and hospitalisation, diminished physical well-being and reduced patient quality of life.3-6
Diagnosing renal anaemia is critical in establishing early and appropriate treatment in patients.
There are a number of treatment guidelines available which provide information on the management of anaemia and CKD related anaemia. Treatment of renal anaemia can significantly improve overall health in patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD).
What’s in the Renal Anaemia Knowledge Centre?
- Epidemiology of CKD
- Incidence and Prevalence of Stage 5 CKD
- Treatment of CKD
- Renal Anaemia: Definition
- Associated Symptoms
- CKD and Anaemia
- CKD and renal Anaemia
- Implications of CKD related anaemia
- Diagnosis: Overview
- Haemoglobin levels in renal anaemia
- Diagnostic flow chart
- Diagnostic tests: Establishing the cause of anaemia
- Diagnostic tests: Determining kidney function
- Diagnostic tests: Comorbidities tests
- Anaemia Treatment In CKD Patients
- Current Challenges in the Management of CKD-Related Anaemia
- Introducing MIRCERA
- mode of action
- Clinical Study highlights
- Treatment guidelines
- Current issues in anaemia management
- Useful External Links
- Bone marrow
- Chronic hypoxaemic pulmonary disease
- Chronic kidney disease
- CKD-related anaemia
- Complete blood count
- Correction therapy
- Disordered growth signals
- End-stage renal disease (ESRD)
- Inhibitory concentration (IC50)
- Kidney failure
- Left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH)
- Maintenance therapy
- Pathological organ function
- Pure red cell aplasia (PRCA)
- Red blood cell (erythrocyte)
- Renal anaemia Anaemia
- Reticulocyte count
- Titration period
- Vitamin B12
1. Lefebvre P, Vekeman F, Sarokhan B, Enny C, Provenzano R, Cremieux PY. Relationship between hemoglobin level and quality of life in anemic patients with chronic kidney disease receiving epoetin alfa. Curr Med Res Opin. 2006;22:1929-1937.
2. NAAC (National Anemia Action Council) Anemia monograph. Available at http://anemia.org/professionals/monograph/ [Accessed June 2008].
3. Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Harnett JD, Kent GM, Murray DC, Barre PE. The impact of anemia on cardiomyopathy, morbidity, and and mortality in end-stage renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 1996;28:53–61.
4. Levin A, Thompson CR, Ethier J, Carlisle EJ, Tobe S, Mendelssohn D, Burgess E, Jindal K, Barrett B, Singer J, Djurdjev O. Left ventricular mass index increase in early renal disease: impact of decline in hemoglobin. Am J Kidney Dis. 1999;34:125–134.
5. Ofsthun N, Labrecque J, Lacson E, Keen M, Lazarus JM. The effects of higher hemoglobin levels on mortality and hospitalization in hemodialysis patients. Kidney Int. 2003;63:1908–1914.
6. Perlman RL, Finkelstein FO, Liu L, Roys E, Kiser M, Eisele G, Burrows-Hudson S, Messana JM, Levin N, Rajagopalan S, Port FK, Wolfe RA, Saran R. Quality of life in chronic kidney disease (CKD): a cross-sectional analysis in the Renal Research Institute-CKD study. Am J Kidney Dis. 2005;45:658–666.
The Pharmacokinetics of MK-7145 Following Single Dose Administration in Participants With Moderate Renal Insufficiency (MK-7145-018)Clinicaltrials.gov 11 April 2013
Multi-Center Randomized Clinical Trial Irreversible Electroporation for the Ablation of Localized Prostate CancerClinicaltrials.gov 08 April 2013
Relationship Between Predictors of the Risk of Clinical Progression of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia and Metabolic Syndrome in Men With Moderate to Severe Lower Urinary Tract SymptomsUrology 19 April 2013
Phase III study shows Cialis (Eli Lilly) plus finasteride provides benefits for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia20 Mar 2013
- AVODART 0.5MG SOFT CAPSULES
- GYNO-PEVARYL 1 VAGINAL PESSARY
- DETRUSITOL XL 4MG
- CYSTRIN 5MG TABLETS
- AVODART 0.5MG SOFT CAPSULES
- TOVIAZ TABLETS
- NUTRINEAL PD4
- BLERONE XL 4MG PROLONGED-RELEASE CAPSULES
- HYPOVASE (BPH)
- OXYBUTYNIN HYDROCHLORIDE 3MG TABLETS
- CYSTAGON 150 MG HARD CAPSULES
- DETRUNORM 15 MG TABLETS
- NEORECORMON (POWDER AND SOLVENT)
- WARTICON CREAM
- COMBODART 0.5 MG / 0.4 MG HARD CAPSULES
- SPORANOX CAPSULES
- FURADANTIN TABLETS 100MG
- CARDURA TABLETS
- SELEXID TABLETS
- DETRUSITOL 1MG & 2MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- FLOMAX RELIEF MR
- DITROPAN TABLETS 2.5MG, DITROPAN TABLETS 5MG
- EMSELEX PROLONGED-RELEASE TABLETS
- FABRAZYME 35 MG SOLUTION FOR INFUSION
- LYRINEL XL TABLET
- NORFLOXACIN (GENERIC)
- FABRAZYME 5 MG SOLUTION FOR INFUSION
- TOLTERODINE TARTRATE 1 MG FILM-COATED TABLET
- FUROSEMIDE INJECTION BP 10MG/ML, 2ML, 5ML & 25ML
- EVEROSE 660 MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- XATRAL (BPH)
- MACROBID CAPSULES 100MG B.P.
- FLOMAXTRA XL, 400 MICROGRAMS
- REPLAGAL 1 MG/ML CONCENTRATE FOR SOLUTION FOR INFUSION.
- YENTREVE 20MG AND 40MG HARD GASTRO-RESISTANT CAPSULES
- PROSCAR (BPH)
- MIRCERA SOLUTION FOR INJECTION
- NYSTAN ORAL SUSPENSION
- UTINOR TABLETS
- DESMOTABS 0.2MG
- XATRAL SR (BPH)
- PINEXEL PR 400 MICROGRAMS PROLONGED-RELEASE HARD CAPSULES
- FARAMSIL 400 MICROGRAM PROLONGED-RELEASE TABLETS
- GEMZAR 200MG POWDER FOR SOLUTION FOR INFUSION, GEMZAR 1000MG POWDER FOR SOLUTION FOR INFUSION
- BUSCOPAN AMPOULES
- NIZORAL TABLETS
- DORALESE TILTAB TABLETS 20 MG
- MACRODANTIN CAPSULES 100MG B.P.
- XATRAL XL 10MG (BPH)
- NEBIDO 1000 MG/4ML
- VESICARE 5MG & 10MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- PRAZOSIN (BPH)
- CYMALON CRANBERRY LIQUID