The German Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG) has carried out an early benefit assessment of Eliquis (apixaban), from BMS/Pfizer, to detect any added benefits after operations to replace a hip or knee joint. Its studies showed that apixaban was more effective in preventing symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis than the comparator therapy: about one in 1000 patients who took apixaban developed a symptomatic Deep Vein Thrombosis; the figure for patients who injected enoxaparin was about 4 in 1000. A minor added benefit of apixaban is proven in this case. In hip replacement surgery, there was no difference between the treatment groups in respect of pulmonary embolisms. However after knee replacement, these occurred more frequently under apixaban than under enoxaparin: About 5 in 1000 patients who took apixaban had a pulmonary embolism, compared to about one in 1000 under enoxaparin. This leads to an indication of a lesser benefit of apixaban compared to the comparator therapy. The extent of this lesser benefit was classified as "considerable". From weighing up the benefits and harms on the basis of the data presented in the manufacturer's dossier, IQWiG found no proof of added benefit of apixaban over the appropriate comparator therapy in knee replacement surgery.
CHMP recommends Xarelto (Bayer) for the treatment of Pulmonary Embolism and the prevention of recurrent Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism in adults.
25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations and risk of venous thromboembolism in the general population with 18,791 participantsJournal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 29 December 2012
- ELIQUIS 5 MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- WARFARIN TABLETS 3MG B.P.
- WARFARIN TABLETS 5MG B.P.
- UROKINASE 10,000 I.U.
- INNOHEP 20,000 IU/ML AND INNOHEP SYRINGE 20,000 IU/ML
- ANGIOX 250MG POWDER FOR CONCENTRATE FOR SOLUTION FOR INJECTION OR INFUSION
- CLEXANE FORTE SYRINGES
- RAPILYSIN 10 U POWDER AND SOLVENT FOR SOLUTION FOR INJECTION.
- PHENINDIONE 10MG TABLETS
- PRADAXA 150 MG HARD CAPSULES
- ELIQUIS 2.5 MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- MAREVAN 0.5MG TABLETS
- XARELTO 15MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- XARELTO 10 MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- PHENINDIONE 50MG TABLETS
- ARIXTRA 5MG, 7.5MG, 10MG SOLUTION FOR INJECTION, PRE-FILLED SYRINGE
- ARIXTRA 2.5MG/0.5ML SOLUTION FOR INJECTION, PRE-FILLED SYRINGE
- HEPARIN SODIUM 25,000 I.U./ML SOLUTION FOR INJECTION OR CONCENTRATE FOR SOLUTION FOR INFUSION(WITHOUT PRESERVATIVE)
- WARFARIN TABLETS 1MG
- PRADAXA 110 MG HARD CAPSULES
- MAREVAN 1MG TABLETS
- XARELTO 20MG FILM-COATED TABLETS
- CLEXANE PRE-FILLED SYRINGES
- PRADAXA 75 MG HARD CAPSULES
- PHENINDIONE 25MG TABLETS