ALIMENTARY TRACT AND METABOLISM
DRUGS USED IN DIABETES
BLOOD GLUCOSE LOWERING DRUGS, EXCL. INSULINS
DIPEPTIDYL PEPTIDASE 4 (DPP-4) INHIBITORS
Last Updated on 23 Sep 2014 by EPG Health Media Staff
Suggest content to an epgonline.org editor - or let us know about a mistake you have spotted on this page
Vildagliptin is indicated in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus in adults:
- in patients inadequately controlled by diet and exercise alone and for whom metformin is inappropriate due to contraindications or intolerance.
As dual oral therapy in combination with
- metformin, in patients with insufficient glycaemic control despite maximal tolerated dose of monotherapy with metformin,
- a sulphonylurea, in patients with insufficient glycaemic control despite maximal tolerated dose of a sulphonylurea and for whom metformin is inappropriate due to contraindications or intolerance,
- a thiazolidinedione, in patients with insufficient glycaemic control and for whom the use of a thiazolidinedione is appropriate.
As triple oral therapy in combination with
- a sulphonylurea and metformin when diet and exercise plus dual therapy with these medicinal products do not provide adequate glycaemic control.
Vildagliptin is also indicated for use in combination with insulin (with or without metformin) when diet and exercise plus a stable dose of insulin do not provide adequate glycaemic control.
Galvus Generic Name
POMSummary Product Characteristics (SPCs) Links
SPC - Galvus (external site)